Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ashwin Accordian Album

Little Ashwin hit 1 month and learnt how to smile.  I wanted to mark this momentus occasion. I watched a video by Karen Burniston using a Sizzix die to make a 3-D accordian flip album.  I was not sure whether I wanted to buy this die so I made one without the die.  

As with all their dies, when you are viewing information about this die on the Sizzix website you can see a sample photograph of something made with the die and usually a line drawing of the die blades.  I followed the line drawing to make this card.  Still not sure if I want to buy this die, but it should be noted that what took me at least 5 hours to make could have been made in under half an hour if I used the die.


My accordian album is 5"x5". The pages use coordinating digital scrapbookking papers printed onto cardstock (if I had to do it again I would print the cardstock on both sides).  This is the front.  The letters were cut using the Tim Holtz Word Play die using scrap matte board which I then coloured using some Tim Holtz distress ink.  I added a felt/wood embellishment of a star with a rocking horse as Ashwin translates to "star" in Sanskrit (trust these young folk to give their kids exotic names).


The accordian album is rather nifty as it folds down flat enough to slip into an envelope, yet opens to quite an impressive size. You can make your album any number of pages; I chose 4.


On the internal pages I added photos of little Ashwin's smiling face which I printed onto cardstock.  The frames were cut using 2 different sizes of Sizzix Bracket Window dies using a blue cardstock.

1 comment:

dodo49 said...

I like this mini album and me too, i don't want buy the die..
do you have a tutorial???